The 100th Anniversary of the start of the Great War in 1914 has just been commemorated and over the next 4 years various aspects of the War will be examined and written about. Hillcroft College in Oakhill, Surbiton was founded in 1920 to provide an education for working class women who had been involved in war work.
This Shared Learning Project will research the involvement of Surbiton citizens in the Great War as soldiers, auxiliary workers and as conscientious objectors. It will explore the role of women in war work and the nature of that employment. The impact of the War on the Surbiton Area itself will be investigated.
In addition, the project will be studying the early history of Hillcroft College and some of its early students.
We ask volunteers to:
- Be available to attend all meetings at Hillcroft College between 11am and 1pm on the following Thursdays: 8, 22 January, 5, 19 February, 5, 19 March with a presentation on 26 March 2015.
- Visit local history archives as required in Greater London and Surrey.
- Work on projects between meetings.
- Be computer literate, familiar with Microsoft Office, able to use the internet and email.
What’s in it for you?
- To work as part of a team.
- To make a contribution to the history of Surbiton in the Great War and the history of Hillcroft College. Material will be incorporated into the Oakhill Community Project website, used in talks and kept in the archives for future researchers. There is also the possibility of setting up a historic walk.
Why we want you:
We need volunteers to produce original research that contributes to our knowledge of the social history of Surbiton during the Great War and the early history of Hillcroft College.
Location for meetings:
Hillcroft College, South Bank, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 6DF.
Rail: Surbiton station then a 5 minute walk.
Buses: 71, 281, K2, K3 to Surbiton Station (South Bank is over the footbridge).
406, 418 to Surbiton Health Centre, Ewell Road (South Bank is opposite the fire station).
For further information and an application form contact Moira Shearer:
email@example.com 020 8390 6356
Closing date for applications: 30th October 2014.