Are you interested in the past lives of South West Londoners? Are you interested in researching and writing about them?
Following on the success of the South West London U3As’ Shared Learning Project which led to the production of the booklet “Out and About in South West London” earlier this year, we are proposing to research the past lives of South West Londoners with a view to producing a similar booklet. The project will begin in January 2014 and will be completed by April. Meetings will be held in Kingston as before and we will proceed as follows:
- Members of the team will decide on the people who they wish to research. They will probably work in pairs and decide between them a theme such as people from politics, music, science, literature etc.
- As a team we will have to decide on the parameters of the research as there is an almost inexhaustible fund of notable people.
- The historical figures to be researched will come predominantly from people who lived in Kingston, Merton, Richmond and Wandsworth.
- Each section of the booklet will be written by members of the team.
- A final section of the booklet would incorporate walks showing where the subjects lived/were born/ died, so some research into the accessibility of places mentioned will be necessary.
- We will meet fortnightly starting on 15th Jan 2014 until 26th March from 11am – 1pm in the Community Room at John Lewis in Kingston.
If you enjoy researching and visiting places and have an interest in the history of South West London this could be the project for you.
Access to email with some computer skills is essential – as is a commitment to attend all the meetings. As always with U3A SLPs your enthusiasm is paramount!
It is expected that the project will appeal to U3A members living in South West London but this is not a pre-condition.
For more information and an application form, please email Sue Leigh at email@example.com . Applications close 15 November 2013.